Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Science vs. Scientists

Imagine I am the Csar of Science and I am tired of the culture that places scientists on a pedestal but ignores science. I, as a high ranking government official, have the ability to conduct experiments with 100 NIH funded scientists. There is no hidden agenda here. They are told that it is their ability to uncover the truth that is being studied.

I express a protein in CHO cells. It will be a human antibody against TNF alpha, one of the most popular biotech drug projects. It will be purified to 99% purity and be in PBS. All I tell the labs is that it is a pure protein in PBS. The information that they send back is entirely up to them. What I am looking for is clarity, simplicity, and accuracy. Science shouldn't be any harder than it needs to be. I am looking for a response that identifies human IgG.

This will be stage one. Hopefully they will pay a CRO 500 bucks to perform amino acid sequencing and do a BLAST search. Expense is also a factor in my experiment. Who is the most efficient in simple tasks?

Next I reveal what the protein is. I tell the first 50 to provide physical details such as molecular weight, glycosylation, binding constant... I tell the other 50 to do the same but I throw in that we (the government) want to market the antibody to compete with the others. Once again, I do not tell the scientists exactly what to do. Even the format of the report is up to them.

How does the added information (compete against marketed drugs) affect that reporting on physical properties of the antibody?

Why do I consider this a good science experiment? To begin with, I do not have a bias towards any particular outcome. Next, I have not formatted the scientists thoughts on how to report their findings. We are all blinded as to what the information will be. I am testing the scientists, not the science. I know that the science and technology is available to get the right answers. The known unknown is the antibody. We know what it is. Can the scientists make it a known known? Next is the unknown unknown. I don't know what the group of scientists will do. Will 100% pass step 1 and name that protein? Finally, what affect will the added information (compete against marketed drugs) have on the analysis? Higher binding affinities? Will the government antibody successfully compete against marketed drugs as opposed to simply being fairly compared to them?

My experiment is about bias and science. Are there ways that leaders can prevent bias from affecting science or do the leaders want to bias research? Are there ways of measuring the affects of bias? Here at the CCS we naturally assume that any group of humans will be lead by those most adamant to obtain the desired outcomes. It is science, not scientists, that has no such bias.

No comments: